Introduction to ClusBerry – a Raspberry Pi CM4 Cluster
ClusBerry is a cluster of Raspberry Pi computers developed by TECHBASE. The cluster is made up of multiple Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4’s that are connected together, allowing them to work together to perform tasks that would otherwise be too computationally intensive for a single board. This makes ClusBerry a powerful, low-cost solution for parallel computing and high-performance computing applications.
One of the key features of ClusBerry is its flexibility. The cluster can be configured with a variety of different types of Raspberry Pi-like modules, including the Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 and latest Radxa CM3. This allows users to choose the configuration that best meets their needs in terms of performance, cost, and power consumption.
ClusBerry device fitted with Software
Another important feature of ClusBerry is its software stack. The cluster is pre-installed with a range of software tools and libraries that are commonly used in parallel computing and high-performance computing applications. This includes tools for job scheduling, resource management, and data transfer, as well as libraries for machine learning, data processing, and scientific simulations.
ClusBerry can be used for a variety of applications, including machine learning, data processing, and scientific simulations. For example, it can be used to train large machine learning models, process large datasets, or run complex simulations. Some of the specific use cases that ClusBerry can be applied to include:
- Image and video processing: ClusBerry can be used to process large amounts of image and video data, such as in the field of computer vision.
- Machine learning: ClusBerry can be used to train large machine learning models, such as deep learning models, using parallel computing techniques.
- Scientific simulations: ClusBerry can be used to run complex simulations in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.
- Data processing: ClusBerry can be used to process large amounts of data, such as in the field of big data.
Overall, ClusBerry is a powerful and flexible solution for parallel computing and high-performance computing applications. Its low cost, ease of use, and wide range of software tools and libraries make it well-suited for a wide range of use cases.
Small CM4 cluster in ClusBerry-2M
The introduction of new Compute Module 4 has opened the possibility to construct and maintain effective hardware matrix solutions with the use of both PCI-Express buses and 1GBps Ethernet. Therefore, the ClusBerry-2M opens up completely new capabilities of utilizing cluster solutions for Industrial Automation and server applications.
ClusBerry-2M can be equipped with multiple expansion cards, e.g. serial RS-232/485 ports, range of digital and analog I/Os, USB, HDMI and Ethernet. Interfaces can be expanded with additional I/Os and opto-isolation, relays, Ethernet, 1-Wire, CAN, M-Bus Master and Slave, accelerometer and many more features like TPM Security Chip & eSIM. The device can also be equipped with additional SuperCap backup power source for continuous work and safe boot/shutdown in case of emergency.
ClusBerry-2M series also offers two M.2 NVMe SSD slots and up to four standard miniPCIe module support for various wireless communication protocols, such as:
- GSM modem (4G/LTE and fast 5G modem)
- economic NarrowBand-IoT technology
- LoRa, ZigBee, Z-Wave, Sigfox, Wireless M-Bus
- secondary Wi-Fi/Bluetooth interface or Wi-Fi Hi-Power
- custom wireless interfaces
Software cluster management with Docker and K3s Lightweight Kubernetes
With use of Docker-based and Kubernetes solutions, installation and management of ClusBerry-2M is easy and backed with a large community for further support and development. Kubernetes is a portable, extensible open-source software platform for managing containerized tasks and sites that enables declarative configuration and automation. The Kubernetes ecosystem is large and dynamically developing. Kubernetes services, support and tools are widely available.
- Detection of new services and traffic. Kubernetes can balance the load and redirect the network traffic to ensure the stability of the entire installation.
- Kubernetes data storage management enables you to automatically mount any type of storage system – on-premises, from cloud providers and others.
- Automatic deployment and rollback. You can describe the expected state of your installation with Kubernetes, which will take care of bringing the actual state to the expected state in a controlled manner. For example, with Kubernetes, you can manage your cluster modules at ease, boot modules from one to another, upgrade firmware crosswise and provide safe operation of each module.
- Automatic management of available resources. ClusBerry-2M provides a cluster of modules that Kubernetes can use to run tasks in containers. You determine the CPU power and RAM requirements for each container. Kubernetes arranges containers on machines in such a way as to make the best use of provided resources.
- Self-healing Kubernetes reboots containers that have stopped working, replaces them with new ones, forces disabling containers that are not responding to certain status queries, and does not announce their availability until they are ready to run.
- Managing confidential information and Kubernetes configuration with TPM Security Chip allows you to store and manage confidential information such as passwords, OAuth tokens and SSH keys. Secured data and configuration information can be provided and changed without having to rebuild the container image and without exposing sensitive data in the overall software configuration.
Basic version of ClusBerry-2M is available in 2-4 weeks. Delivery time for various configurations of ClusBerry-2M including ExCard modules and modems can be approximately 2 months, depending on the CM4 supply on the market and chosen expansion cards. For more information please contact via our website and sign the offer here: https://clusberry.techbase.eu/